Xena and Buffy are two of my favorite TV characters - not just because they're feminine, strong, flawed, capable, can work with a team, and exhibit ability to lead as well as follow, but because if in the course of their butt-kicking one of them hits a man, and a man hits her back, she doesn't launch into a rant about the abusive patriarchy.
In the armed forces, and apparently law enforcement alike, women aren't held to the same standards as their male counterparts are. Also, women in the USofA aren't required to sign up for Selective Service, as are virtually all male U.S. citizens and immigrant male non-citizens between the ages of 18 and 25. If
I must ever rely upon the Colorado Spring Police Department for my
safety, I hope the officers are among those who have passed each of the
tests the other officers are required to. I don't pretend to know how male servicemen on dangerous missions feel about being on the same team as females who don't have to achieve the same level of physical fitness as he is required to. I probably wouldn't like that feeling.
I believe that people should have equal protection against and equal justice for instances of harm, crime, and discrimination. No matter how famous those who contend otherwise may be, "feminism" (etymology: Latin fēminīnus, from fēmina “woman”) has been, is, and will always be about females. If it weren't, I would expect every "feminist" to be campaigning as actively to require women to sign up with the Selective Service and meet all employment standards that male employees must, as they campaign for women's rights.
I do think that women's suffrage is and has been important. I think that women's health issues deserve a lot more funding and a lot more research and a hell of a lot better care and awareness than currently apportioned. However, if we truly want equality, then we ought to expect to act equally. This is why I'm pretty happy with the push for legislation requiring that women be included in the draft.
I do think that women's suffrage is and has been important. I think that women's health issues deserve a lot more funding and a lot more research and a hell of a lot better care and awareness than currently apportioned. However, if we truly want equality, then we ought to expect to act equally. This is why I'm pretty happy with the push for legislation requiring that women be included in the draft.
No comments:
Post a Comment