Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Boredom

There is so much to do in this world, particularly if you're privileged enough to live in a developed country like the US and aren't suffering from extreme lack of life's necessities. There's always a new skill to learn, talents to explore, hobbies to enjoy, physical activity, learning, socializing, etc. Even TV and reading and playing games are good activities, within reason.

There is no reason for an adult to be bored. There are events and activities which are boring, people who are boring, and places which are boring - but being bored? That comes from within. So, with that being the case, when someone above the age of 18 complains in my presence about being "bored", my opinion of their intelligence and respectability suffers traumatically, if not fatally.

Along with the typical things in life, like church and school, I've had major health struggles and several invasive surgeries and procedures, lengthy convalescences, doctor's appointments and countless ER visits. There have been substantial periods of time when I've been disabled or house/hospital bound. And yes, even while being in severe, constant pain and illness, I have not been and am never bored. Miserable and scared and frustrated at times, but never bored.

I discovered early in life that I found boredom to be a shameful thing to feel, much less admit to, in a world as vast as ours is. Even when I haven't had use of all four limbs, I still had my mouth and a brain. There was and is still no excuse for boredom. The need to be constantly entertained is the symptom of a poorly disciplined mind.

"Adventure is out there!" - even if you have to make it up for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment