THE ARTICLE IN QUESTION
I'm always of two minds about articles focusing on disparity between men and women in politics, the workplace, or the developed world in general. I know that there are instances in which sex discrimination has occurred and still takes place, and it rankles me when a woman is held back based on her sex or sexual characteristics. However, in today's first-world countries, I don't think every single disappointment or difficulty a woman experiences in the workplace has basis in gender-based discrimination. To elaborate...
I'm always of two minds about articles focusing on disparity between men and women in politics, the workplace, or the developed world in general. I know that there are instances in which sex discrimination has occurred and still takes place, and it rankles me when a woman is held back based on her sex or sexual characteristics. However, in today's first-world countries, I don't think every single disappointment or difficulty a woman experiences in the workplace has basis in gender-based discrimination. To elaborate...
(1) Women make babies. As engaging in sex (read: sexual activity that is consensual) is a personal choice, as contraception, Plan B pills, and birth control are widely available, and as abortion is still legal in many areas, it is a woman's choice to bear children. It is not a disability.
Therefore, a woman becoming a mother chooses to sacrifice commitment to career that a single person, or a parent whose partner cares for their children, is able to devote. It is not a company's job to cater to someone's choice to be a parent. Businesses hire the individual whom is best for them, within the constraints of law and company policy. If another person can and does commit more of their time and effort to a job, it shouldn't be unexpected that he or she may receive compensation, promotions, and benefits in consequence.
I think I should make it clear that I respect a mother who does her best for her children. At-home mothers don't have it easy. Mothers who also have to or want to work outside the home don't have it easy. I'm saying that when your children are the priority, a company cannot be expected to compete.
I think I should make it clear that I respect a mother who does her best for her children. At-home mothers don't have it easy. Mothers who also have to or want to work outside the home don't have it easy. I'm saying that when your children are the priority, a company cannot be expected to compete.
(2) There are at least as many laws protecting women at work than there are men, as well as widely-implemented company policies dictating that a certain percentage of persons in specific levels of the business must be women.
Therefore, a man who is more committed or better qualified for a job may be denied one based strictly on - what? - his gender. I've seen these policies in play.
(3) The "Status Quo". Teach girls they can and should and will often have to campaign for higher positions, raises, respect, etc., if she wants to attain a higher position, raise, greater respect, etc. It seems to be assumed that someone is going to come along and offer a working woman more money or a better position just because she has earned it. In most jobs, this doesn't happen without the employee becoming his or her advocate for career or monetary advancement, regardless of gender.
A woman does not have to sacrifice her inherent nature and femininity in order to be aggressively successful. I like to be friendly and nurturing, but I'm okay with putting my career and my agenda first. My husband has to do this, too - he's a darling to me, but he's got to take care of business at work, and that means he's not everyone's bestest buddy all the time. It's okay if some people think I'm a jerk. It's okay if some people think he's a jerk. We have yet to cry ourselves to sleep at night because someone else thinks we're jerks.
Teach our girls to be every bit as determined and capable of successfully showcasing their skills, accomplishments, and assets to their superiors as we enable our boys to be. Teach them it's okay to compete with others, to win over others, and not feel they should have to apologize to others for their success. Meekness and humility before God enters you into paradisiacal rest when you die. Meekness and humility before the employer who has three other candidates competing for the job you want is going to get you nowhere while you still live and breathe.
No comments:
Post a Comment